Chalk Painted Chiffonier - Vincent Van Gogh Style

I'm always on the lookout for something unusual...  and this is my Van Gogh Chiffonier do-over!


I'll try to explain the Van Gogh inspiration at the end of the blog - but first of all here's the cabinet before I started any work...


I was really interested in all the carving on this piece - I'm assuming it's Victorian... Chiffoniers were became popular as pieces of furniture to put 'things' in... and are smaller than sideboards.


The hardware was in bad shape - broken handles on the drawer...


Doors loose or coming away from the hinges.  I wasn't really interested in keeping the doors, I thought the natural wood backing and shelves would look great painted with Troubled Water (Autentico's Duck Egg Blue).


This is how everything looked after a couple of coats all over with Autentico's 'Lemon' chalk paint.  Actually it is much more lime - maybe unripe lemon.. but definitely NOT yellow.


Then I got started with the dark wax to bring out all that character.


I love the shade it becomes when the dark brown is added.


I've washed through the brown to let the lemon/lime come through.


It shows the carving really nicely.





The inside is left unwaxed - handles on the drawer have changed to white ceramic pumpkins.


The inside of the drawer is painted in the same duck egg colour - I love that green that could be blue - and finished with a shot of silver leaf across the top.  The names of these paints are VERY confusing.


These photos show the colours off better than some of the others.


A rustic cabinet...


I love it :-)  A great little character piece.

And here's Van Gogh's Chair - the colours inspired me.  I saw the Duck Egg Blue background and that Old Lime painted wood of the chair.  My finished work is a minute fraction of the price though, very affordable.


Comments

Popular Posts