Sunday, 15 September 2013

Emperor's Silk (Chest of) Drawers

I really had no idea how this would turn out.  but I'm really glad I went for it... a very RED experiment using Emperor's Silk Chalk Paint.


So this little chest caught my eye because of the detail around the top and of course those very interesting brass handles!


The chest is put together from a veneer outer and solid oak drawers - that makes me think someone's married up two other pieces of furniture.


No cracks or breaks - so nothing much to sand or fill in other than some holes on the drawers.


I set out thinking I'd revert to a nice soft Paris Grey for this piece, then it was like something took over and before I knew what was happening I'd done two coats with the brightest colour I have - Emperor's Silk!!


I spent quite a lot of time with dark wax and that took the colour right back to a lovely rich burgundy red.


The dark wax has gone into some of the grain and really defines the detail.


I put gold around the insides of the drawers.


It adds to the richness.  I toyed with the idea of changing the handles - and may still do that but meantime I do like the look, slightly over the top :-)